5.13.2008

the.interview.was.fantastic!

I met with the instructor whose class i sat in on last fall, who also happens to be fantastic! I've heard from several current students that he's their favorite. Even though i was already excited about the interview, this made it even more comfortable since i knew him. We went over things i'd turned in, and he complimented me on my strong writing skill, asking where i'd learned to write. Interesting, especially because the essay to which he was referring was the product of my last minute, up-til-four am bout of procrastination. I mentioned a writing course at bu and another at northeastern, but really, it's all about this blog. That's where all the practice comes in! At the end, i had to write a paragraph answering a question in order to give them an idea of my (not written or proof read by someone else) writing ability. After completing this, i realized how rarely i write with pen and paper, and how much i prefer typing my ideas so i can go back, move things around and edit phrasing, etc. I can't remember the last time i wrote more than a quick note with pen and paper. Along with his other questions, he asked what i was the most worried about in terms of graduate school. My answer? Getting in. He laughed.

4 comments:

Artist Statement said...

Glad it went well! I am crossing my fingers for you.

Evil said...

woooooooooooooo!

Nora said...

We'll celebrate tonight at Andrea's!!!

kai said...

I'm glad it went well too. You're aware that there are still writers who write full length novels/books with a pen a paper, right? It seems like I've read a couple of interviews recently where the author states they wrote the entire thing out by hand.

It makes my hand ache just thinking about it. I write with a pen and paper so rarely that when I have to write out a card or something, I'm appalled at how poor my writing is. It's embarrassing. But if you never USE that skill...