3.16.2008

la.belle.france.

I want a portable gps. We brought jen's when i drove up to nh for a baptism, and she changed the british voice to french. It was so fun! I got to practice my french the entire way home!
"Sortie a droite, puis, sortie a gauche."
"Dans huit pointe deux milles, sortie a droite."
The interesting thing was that it used sortie (which means output, exit, leave, etc) instead of tournez (turn). Makes sense when you're talking about exits on a highway, but not so much with regular turns on the street. I'd really like to beef up my french again. I've always wished i'd done a semester abroad over there to really become fluent. Maybe if i don't get into any grad programs for next fall, i'll move to france for a year. That'd do the trick!

2 comments:

Evil said...

moving to france is not too shabby an alternative! can you take evil twin #1 with you?

the best thing i like about french is that on body soap bottles, it says "douche." hahahaha!

related... when i was in turkey, i went to this turkish bath. it was manned by a scruffy old turkish dude who didnt speak any english. but he apparently spoke a few words of french. at one point, he was ordering me into the shower. and he did it by pointing the direction and shouting, "douche! douche!"

stephanie said...

The funnier thing is that i learned the french meaning of douche before the english meaning. So it was never quite as entertaining for me as it clearly is for you!!