11.27.2007

om.

I forgot to mention that i meditated for the first time in that class i went to last night. The class is called "cross cultural perspectives on grief" and it seems that they have guest lecturers fairly often to share a different perspective. Last night the woman who came in was a clinical social worker who was also a buddhist. She started off having us meditate for five minutes. We sat in our chair with both feet on the floor and our hands on our knees. Then we had to close our eyes and focus on our breath for a full five minutes. She told us that anytime a thought came into our head, we should acknowledge it, and then let it go. Easier said than done. It's virtually impossible for my brain to stop thinking- not that i'm so brilliant- i mainly thought about how i was not supposed to be thinking about anything. That, and how this was just like what liz experienced in eat, pray, love. I was pleasantly surprised with how quickly it seemed to go- i expected to start going crazy after about 30 seconds. I guess i've gotten so good at doing nothing that meditation is even possible!

1 comment:

kai said...

I love meditation. That being said, I haven't attempted it in, oh, about a year. I did however just clean out the room that I made for meditation/yoga space (I put in cork floors and painted it a nice soothing green - and then promptly filled it up with boxes and piles of crap. not too conducive to meditating). All I can say is "good for you!"

There are all sorts of health benefits to meditation, you know.... :-)