10.17.2007

office.

My friend andre likes a lot of the same shows as me. Sometimes he goes for the more juvenile options (think "blades of glory") but when I really look at it, everything he's convinced me to watch (and give a second chance, if necessary), I've liked. The office is the one show that I couldn't stomach for a long time. Sure, it had offbeat humor and uncomfortable situations (similar to one of my favorites, curb your enthusiasm), but I really found it boring the few times I watched. Not one to back away from a challenge, he kept at it, giving me a copy of the original british version (which is appropriate since he lives in london now), and convincing me to watch various episodes with steve carell while I was visiting in london. He caught me laughing a few times, and I had to admit that it wasn't as bad as I'd thought. I've been missing those guys recently, so decided to buckle down and watch the series from the beginning. I started with the british version (since it is the original) and after getting used to the style, really liked it! Ricky gervais is just hilarious. Now I'm on to the american version, which I expect will get better once they move onto their own stuff. The ones I've seen so far are pretty much a carbon copy of the british version, and it feels like they're trying too hard to stick to the plot, and aren't being themselves. They are, however, universally more attractive then their british counterparts.

No comments: