5.11.2007

book.buddy.

As mentioned in a previous post, I have a ton of books that I've yet to read. Thirty-nine to be exact. I've been trying to come up with some sort of challenge to encourage myself to read them quickly (we all know how I thrive under competition), but have not done so thus far. I did read two within a week, but I've been stuck on my third (the inheritance of loss) for about ten days, and am only on page 68 of 356ish. It's a book I really feel that I should like, but I haven't formed any sort of attachments yet, and don't see it happening in the near future. Yesterday, at gymnastics, I was trying to read my book instead of running on the treadmill since it was hot and humid. The woman sitting next to me (who is usually running on the treadmill next to me) asked me if I liked it. Turns out that she couldn't get into it either, but felt exactly like me- that she should like it. We talked for the whole hour about books we'd liked/didn't like, and it turns out that we have pretty much the exact same taste in reading. She always seemed really cool, so I guess I couldn't say I was surprised. She dislikes short stories (for the most part) for the exact same reason as I do- it's hard to attach to the character when they're only around for a short time. We can't remember enough about the different stories in order to discuss them when it comes time for discussion. I got several new recommendations for books, along with the permission to throw away (or donate, really) the ones I can't get into. This should really knock down the number of books I'll actually have to read.

1 comment:

And said...

what's your list? I have many in my bookshelf too I need to read. Maybe we could do a compare/contrast.