2.14.2007

wet.snow.

It finally snowed here in boston. For a little bit at least. By the time I got up (at 8:30) the snow had turned to hail, which stayed with us for most of the morning before turning into rain. My car stayed nice and snug at home while I drove the minivan to get the girls from school. Driving this thing in any sort of inclement weather is pretty much like driving a stick of butter across a hot pan. Luckily, I've figured out how to tell when I can keep it under control, and when I need to get out and shovel the snow out of the way. I shoveled the driveway around noon so I could get the car up, and decided to tackle the sidewalks around 4 since I knew the temperature would drop and everything would freeze tonight. (Ever since *ja* and I started our four mile zig zag in my neighborhood, I have a new appreciation for people who clear off their sidewalks.) I seriously think that this was the worst shoveling experience of my life. There was probably about 3 inches of slush out there (so it was like shoveling a pile of bricks, and therefore made it impossible to use the snow blower), and it was raining. My hair was dripping in my face, my glasses were both fogged up and covered with rain so I couldn't even see what I was doing, and my pants were so wet and heavy that I worried they'd fall down. It took me an hour and ten minutes to do the entire thing. Since we have a corner house, there's probably about 125 feet of sidewalk to take care of. When I finished, I was literally dripping wet from head to toe, through three layers of clothes- even with a hooded jacket.

1 comment:

And said...

I had the same experience shoveling. Since I was already wet from coming home (all the corners were like rivers, so my fet were drenched), I worked on our stairs and then the front sidewalk, but anytime I shoveled, it would just fill in with water. Today it was an ice rink.