1.11.2007

bus.

Boy do I have a story for you. Tonight was the night that *ac* hosted fitness night. She'd ordered a video from netflix- bellydancing this time- and we were all supposed to meet at her place around 7:15pm to try it out. Since *ja* and I try to stick to our walk/jog plans on monday and thursday nights, I convinced her to come to bellydancing with me. We'd take the bus to *ac's* place, and then walk the 2.74 miles home afterwards. In theory, this was perfect. In reality, it was a disaster. The bus should have been at our stop around 7:03. I was running a little behind, so we left the house at 7:01. We should have made it since it's literally around the corner, but it was either really early, or it never came. We waited for ten minutes or so, and then started walking to the main street to catch one of the other buses. We were a block away as we saw the 37 drive past. We got to the corner and tried to decide what to do. All I had in my pocket was a roll of quarters and a T pass- no phone, cash, etc. *ja* had her phone, but thanks to auto-dial, I don't know anyone's number by heart. As we were standing there, I saw a 37 heading in the opposite direction, and made a snap decision to hop on. I didn't think it went much further, and then it would turn around and drop us off near *ac's* place. Plus, it was freezing out, and I didn't know when another bus would be coming along. On our way in the wrong direction, we passed two other buses heading the right way. Ah well. So we get to the end of the line, and instead of just continuing back in the right direction, we sit on the bus for ten minutes. This made sense when I thought about it later- some buses actually stick to a schedule, and if she just kept driving, we would have been really early for the other stops. So we didn't get to forest hills until 7:55, and then had to walk 0.62 miles to *ac's* place. I was a wreck since I couldn't remember her phone number and felt bad that we were almost an hour late. It all worked out, and we did our hilarious bellydancing video that actually made us sweat (who'd have thought there was so much cardio going on there?) and set out for our trek home a little after 9pm. It was freezing, and I think that we both have wind burn on our cheeks, but we made it the entire way home, for a total of four freezing cold miles.

1 comment:

kai said...

Right... this is why I've never been brave enough to navigate the MBTA bus system. The T I can do. The commuter rail I can do. but the busses? they scare the crap out of me...

but then again, I've been trying to work the nerve up for years to be brave enough to take a yoga class. they're free at the gym. I'm too chicken.

If i had to choose between yoga & the bus though... i'd choose yoga.