11.13.2006

j.e.l.l.o

During my freshman year at bu, my roommate and I made sugar-free jello on a regular basis. We made double batches, and kept it in the little fridge we kept under my bed. I haven't had jello regularly since then, but after watching the biggest loser, my interest has been renewed. I picked up a bunch at the store today, and made up two batches. The way I look at it, I can eat an entire box of jello (2 cups) and it's only 40 calories. 40 calories!!!!! It's sweet, so it satisfies the sweet tooth. Plus, it's so jiggly, it fills your stomach up, so you're not hungry. I think that jello might just be the magic ingredient for healthy eating.

3 comments:

brian said...

low-fat cottage cheese is really good, too. they're best if you can find them without thickeners (xanthan gum, guar gum, locust bean gum, pectin, arrowroot, cornstarch, etc etc) because those always make the texture seem gross to me. but low-fat cottage cheese has very little saturated fat and few calories, like a whole tub is maybe 180 calories or something.

oh yeah, popsicles and fudgesicles sweetened with splenda/sucralose or sugar alcohol, if you can find them, too. popsicles are like 15 calories each, fudgesicles are like 80. and they're portion-controlled so it's not like you have to will yourself to stop eating from a thing of ice cream (although, if you're me, it just means you keep going to the freezer for another fudgesicle.)

stephanie said...

Ya..I keep trying to like cottage cheese, but it is the texture that grosses me out. Maybe I'll try it again without the thickeners. I remember eating it at the kitchen table in Melrose with you when we were kids, so I must have liked it at some point!

You're right about the splenda popsicles- they're so much better than the aspartame ones which make my tongue hurt. The creamsicles are disgusting though- the texture of the cream is kind of sandy. Blah.

brian said...

yeah, when i really want creamsicles i just cope with the extra calories and get the dreyer's double-wide creamsicles. you really need decent ice cream and the double-wide, because single creamsicles have too much orange popsicle, not enough vanilla ice cream. only the wide bars have the right balance.