7.17.2006

weekend.update.with.scs

This has been a busy weekend. I've learned a bunch of new stuff.
  • First thing saturday am, I had a photo shoot in a fabulous old schoolhouse-turned-condos in south boston. It was with a boy I've photographed every year, for four years now. I only see him on these yearly visits, so it's interesting to see how much he changes, and yet how little at the same time.
  • After I finished up down there, I met *nn* and her canine pal, barney for a walk and some frisbee lessons. *nn* is great at frisbee. She played in college, and can do all sorts of fun moves while she throws it exactly where she wants it to go. As for me...let's just say that *nn* got a TON of exercise chasing after my woobly, misguided tosses. It was rather embarrassing, but fun none-the-less. I'm planning on purchasing myself a frisbee, and making the kids run after it while I practice.
  • Since it was super hot out, my next stop was the pool. I brought along *g* and *s*, *ab* and *kb's* (the ones who have a three week old baby) kids since *ab's* in london, and *kb* can't swim yet. (Apparently you have to wait a bit after popping a baby out. Never having had kids, I wasn't privy to this bit of info until recently.) Some other friends showed up just as we were about to leave, so we had a longer swim than planned.
  • I got home at 6:30, and studied calculus until 1:30am. I accomplished only a little bit in that time.

Today was a bit less busy.

  • I woke up at 8:30 and studied until 12. My little brother came in at night to drop of our sister, and he saved my butt. He's a genius at calc, so he helped me figure out some of my mistakes. There's nothing like getting help from you younger sibs!!
  • Then we went to the red sox game at 2:05. Sadly, we lost to the oakland a's, (..oh crap. The yankee's are only .5 games behind us.) When I was younger, I used to babysit for several families on our street. One family had two boys who were so unbelievable at sports, that I used to joke about taking my picture with them each year of their life, and having them sign it. The youngest one once listed off the red sox lineup to me when he was three. So, the eldest boy got a job at fenway as the locker guy for the visiting team several years ago (Dan Duquette lived up the street from us, and hooked him up) and now works as the visiting team's batboy when he's home from college. He even got a world series ring when we won in 2004. I've seen it, and it's very impressive. It even has his last name in diamonds like the big players. I was talking to him a couple months ago, and he was saying that he's going to quit in a year or two (when he's done with college) because he needs to make real money. Apparently he only makes $7.50/hour. You'd think they could pay a bit more than that, although I'm sure they could get someone to work for free if they wanted to. He was working today, and it was pretty cool to actually know someone on the field, even if he's only a batboy in the visiting team's uniform.

No comments: